Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Work & Life | How to schedule your work hours a la Simone de Beauvoir

Simone de Beauvoir was a writer, intellectual, existentialist philosopher, political activist, feminist, and social theorist. And she did not spend 24/7 doing just that. Here is an excerpt from The Paris Review on her working hours. By my calculations, it added up to 7 hours a day: 10 am to 1 pm and 5 pm to 9 pm. 

INTERVIEWER People say that you have great self-discipline and that you never let a day go by without working. At what time do you start? 
DE BEAUVOIR I'm always in a hurry to get going, though in general I dislike starting the day. I first have tea and then, at about ten o'clock, I get under way and work until one. Then I see my friends and after that, at five o'clock, I go back to work and continue until nine. I have no difficulty in picking up the thread in the afternoon. When you leave, I'll read the paper or perhaps go shopping. Most often it's a pleasure to work.
The Paris Review, Spring-Summer 1965 | Courtesy of Marcine Miller

Read also: Slate “Daily Rituals: Life-hacking tips” by Mason Currey

Mason Currey’s inactive Daily Routines blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...