Monday, May 28, 2012

Food | Tonkatsu serendipity

Couple of days ago, I had an urge to ‘clean up’ my virtual acumen, but what it resulted in was revisiting blogs, sites, diverting to new blogs and sites, establishing a new social link, checking out the current social links, wondering if I should look at or follow new links, adding new ‘Likes’, subscribing … put simply, the opposite of ‘clean up’. The intention was there but not the will. One of the blogs I revisited was Japanina’s Food Corner: Tasty Tonkatsu! One of my favorite Japanese cooked dishes, no doubt because it reminds me of my home’s comfort food. Tonkatsu is a breaded, deep fried cutlet similar to the Italian cotoletta, Polish kotlet schabowy, Austrian or German or Israeli schnitzel, or any other national variant. What makes tonkatsu different for me is the use of panko and the serving style of washoku, that is with rice, miso soup and tsukemono. This is when I started wondering what Francis the Dog and Chef de Francis are up to. Lo and behold, the video featured at their YouTube site was of how to make katsudon: tonkatsu finished off with cooked egg and served on rice. Tonkatsu! Of all things! If the craving continues, I will have to do something about it.

Here is the Cooking with Dog version, but if the egg part doesn’t grab you then see Japanina’s version, one I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...